Don’t Let Murphy’s Law Ruin 2018 – Here’s How
As the New Year approaches, many people will consider their budget for 2018 and what home repairs they should do. Periodic maintenance is just as important as having a trusted service provider to make necessary repairs.
Victims of Murphy’s Law can attest that their air conditioner goes out on the hottest day of the year or the water heater fails when you have out of town visitors. Don’t wait until your home is broken to consider what repairs need to be done.
Here is a list of helpful things to consider as you look at what needs to be done to your home to keep it in tip top shape.
- Replace burned-out, dim or missing bulbs in light fixtures and lamps. Consider switching to LED bulbs.
- Dryer exhaust vents build up lint even though you may be cleaning the filter regularly.
- Fire extinguishers need to be recharged or replaced after expiration date.
- Establish a recurring appointment on your calendar to change filters in your HVAC.
- Replace missing or damaged caulk around sinks, bathtubs, showers, windows and other areas.
- Clean gutters.
- Schedule an inspection with a pest control a minimum of once a year unless you have a service contract.
- Schedule a chimney cleaning prior to using the fireplace for the first time in the season.
- Keep all tree branches and shrubs trimmed away from the home.
- Pressure wash exterior, deck, patio, sidewalks and driveway.
- Keep levels of insulation in the attic above your ceiling joists.
- Check appliances with water lines for leaks or worn hoses.
• ice maker • washing machine • dishwasher • others
- Test all GFI breakers and reset.
- Inspect all electrical outlets for broken receptacles, fire hazards or loose fitting plugs.
- Have furnace and air conditioner serviced annually.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and change batteries.
When you use Assurance Inspection Services for your home buying process, you will not only get a custom report of all the things that need to be replaced, buy you’ll also have the opportunity to use our exclusive Porch partnership to get a $100 credit towards any home repair that needs to be done after you move in.